AA2A Residency – University of Central Lancashire
Since October last year, I have been artist-in-residence at University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) in Preston. I’ve been working on a specific project to create a piece called The Absence of Nature, which (I think) will be a series of chairs highlighting the increased extinction rates of beetles due to climate change and loss of habitat.
I knew that I wanted to use metallic and iridescent inks to screenprint fabric for the chairs so have spent a large amount of my time at UCLan experimenting with different inks, finishes, fabrics and pigments to get what I wanted. I’ve finally started to achieve something with Golden’s interference colours (thankyou Golden!) but it took a lot of research and experimentation.
I have also spent some time at Manchester Museum‘s entomology department, drawing from the thousands of specimens they have. I plan to go back and do some more research – Dmitri and his colleagues at the museum couldn’t be more helpful and to draw from real specimens is invaluable.
As part of the residency I’ve been experimenting with textures and fills, using trugrain and various media to achieve what I wanted, playing around with levels and exposure in Photoshop and when exposing the screens.
I’m finally starting to see the results I want – just need to create the final designs for the fabric using the many beetles I have been sat drawing since the residency started…
Search ‘Being A Freelance Artist’
'Being a Freelance Artist' is me, Jacqui Symons; a Manchester-based artist and designer, who creates public and community art alongside her own work and practice.
Being A Freelance Artist aims to give readers an insight into me and my work whilst at the same time providing advice and support about becoming and surviving as a freelance artist.
- RT @BillFairfoull: .@TamesideCouncil @LynntTravis - really powerful performance "it's only a few quid" - dangers of loan sharks. Sofa on di… 9 hours ago
- RT @tmbc_chiefexec: Look at this stunning sofa made by a number of our residents groups as part our campaign against the scourge of loan sh… 9 hours ago
- Ooooh - thanks for the heads up - I'll make sure I've got a suitable hairdo for hard hat wearing..! #hardhathair twitter.com/galleryoldham/… 1 day ago
- Look at these amazing textile artworks we made yesterday at The Hub @OldhamCouncil using the 'Hapa Zome' technique… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- RT @ZakAvery: It's hard to know how to vote, so here's a simple flow chart that breaks it down into manageable questions. https://t.co/thY0… 3 days ago