Since October last year, I have been artist-in-residence at University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) in Preston. I’ve been working on a specific project to create a piece called The Absence of Nature, which (I think) will be a series of chairs highlighting the increased extinction rates of beetles due to climate change and loss of habitat.
I knew that I wanted to use metallic and iridescent inks to screenprint fabric for the chairs so have spent a large amount of my time at UCLan experimenting with different inks, finishes, fabrics and pigments to get what I wanted. I’ve finally started to achieve something with Golden’s interference colours (thankyou Golden!) but it took a lot of research and experimentation.
I have also spent some time at Manchester Museum‘s entomology department, drawing from the thousands of specimens they have. I plan to go back and do some more research – Dmitri and his colleagues at the museum couldn’t be more helpful and to draw from real specimens is invaluable.
As part of the residency I’ve been experimenting with textures and fills, using trugrain and various media to achieve what I wanted, playing around with levels and exposure in Photoshop and when exposing the screens.
I’m finally starting to see the results I want – just need to create the final designs for the fabric using the many beetles I have been sat drawing since the residency started…
Search ‘Being A Freelance Artist’
'Being a Freelance Artist' is me, Jacqui Symons; a Manchester-based artist and designer, who creates public and community art alongside her own work and practice.
Being A Freelance Artist aims to give readers an insight into me and my work whilst at the same time providing advice and support about becoming and surviving as a freelance artist.
- Artwork for @UHNMCharity @UHNM_NHS Stafford successfully installed. Staff & patients love it. I'm massively please… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Second day of installing artwork @UHNM_NHS in Stafford for @UHNMCharity - can't confirm as yet but quietly pleased… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- RT @NHSMillion: Please RT if you agree the money spent on Trident would be better used funding the NHS. https://t.co/FgPQkTtysI 4 days ago
- RT @lionelbarber: Letter of the decade on Brexit, only in @FT https://t.co/gF0n1Tokay 1 week ago
- RT @GeorgeMonbiot: The sheer bloody selfishness of people sitting outside the school gates with engines on. They get air conditioning. The… 1 week ago