It’s all about the RSPB this week…
Last weekend we had a lovely arts event at Dove Stone Reservoir, organised in collaboration with the RSPB. Alongside specially composed music (played by Saddleworth School Brass Band and Greenfield Brass Band), there were lots of things going on, including dance, visual arts, poetry, wildflower planting and leaf printing.
Richard Dawson created some gallery style plinths that showcased artworks responding to the amazing landscape and environment at Dove Stone Reservoir. These included a piece of gritstone, some water, a section of peat, acorns, a bumble bee and some honey bees.
He also installed some tree drawing machines, whereby drawings are created by the movement of the tree’s branches in the wind.
(For more of Richard’s work, have a look here)
Alongside facilitating a drop-in leaf printing workshop, I created some large-scale withy honey bees which were displayed in the wildflower meadow overlooking the reservoir.
Search ‘Being A Freelance Artist’
'Being a Freelance Artist' is me, Jacqui Symons; a Manchester-based artist and designer, who creates public and community art alongside her own work and practice.
Being A Freelance Artist aims to give readers an insight into me and my work whilst at the same time providing advice and support about becoming and surviving as a freelance artist.
- Been visiting @instagram world last few days... haven’t decided whether I’ll stay there yet. Maybe dual citizenship… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
- Look at lovely collagraph plates by @karenjoyce007 in her studio @HotBedPress - beautiful! https://t.co/08ThC12bxs 2 weeks ago
- 11 mths research @ArtlabCPS with @AA2Aproject, new screens @screenstretch, exposed screens @HotBedPress leads to… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 weeks ago
- Testing zoetrope’s size, number of slots and picture direction before starting artwork and designs for exhibition... https://t.co/F6j1fUopw7 2 weeks ago
- RT @RobGMacfarlane: Word(s) of the day: "ghost species" - species that survive almost exclusively due to human intervention, on borrowed ti… 3 weeks ago